27 Jun 2017

ONFF-0584 Het Floordambos

Call: ON8WR/p
QSO': 58
Date : 27-06-2017
 
Location : Melsbroek
Operators: Ward





Summary:
During this 3h I logged 57 qso's on 1 band.
20m: 57 QSO in 25 DXCC

Transceiver:
Yaesu FT857d - 75w max (powered from car battery)

Antenna's used:
20m: telescopic vertical on the roof of my car

Report:
Back in belgium after I had a great DX trip activating flora fauna I decided to make some time to do some activations in Belgium as well.
This activation was in the evening, after work.

My plan was to run on 17m, 20m and 40m bands.
Because it has been raining all the time I was there I didn't get around to make my 40m setup, so I only used my vertical antenna on the car for this one.
Started out on 17m, called CQ for about 10 minutes there and did not get any response at all, there also were no other signals on the band so I decided to move on.
20m was better, I had quite a slow start, and had a very hard time keeping my frequency since the propagation was not that good and it was hard to hear other stations.
After a while I got the frequency for myself (I think) and started making some good qso's.
Quite a bit DX (Canada, US, Asiatic Turkey, Asiatic Russia,...) so that's always nice.

It looks like 20m in the evening is better for long distance, but not so good for europe, so next time I should really get 40m up in the air.

When I finished the activation I started looking on the band and I heared a lot of interesting DX countries I didn't ever work yet, but the pileups were too much and my setup probably a bit too minimalistic, so I did not get trough. It was nice to try it, maybe better luck next time :)

One idea 1 have to get on 40m much quicker is to use the 5m telescopic antenna on the roof of my car as a base for an inverted L, by connecting 5m of wire horizontally (or a bit sloper) to the top of the antenna and try it like that.
I did some searching online and I didn't find any information on the performance of this, on the roof of a car, so I'll have to try it and see if the ground is good enough.
If it works well this could save me some struggles setting up the inverted V all the time, or maybe I could set up the inverted V for another band, maybe try 60m or 80m.

No comments:

Post a Comment